Wednesday, September 8, 2010

SWEDISH DAY LABORERS AT IKEA STORES IRK NEIGHBORS

Neighbors of a Bay Area Ikea store are complaining that an influx of Swedish day laborers is making their lives miserable.  
“They’re out there as early as 6:00am with carpenter’s axe in hand, laughing loudly and drinking their Bryggkaffee Mörkrost,” complained Bethany Taynor, who lives across the street from the store.  “I tried to go to a different Ikea a few days ago to buy some Bumerang curved clothes hangers, and this guy in the parking lot stops me and asks if I need any boats built.  It’s really annoying.  I’ve switched to Bed, Bath and Beyond, but I’ve got to admit, I really miss my Skorpor Fullkorn in the morning.” 
According to Simo Blomgren, Professor of Swedish Studies at the University of Wichita, Sweden’s economy is also in recession, causing many Swedes to come to the U.S. in search of work.  Blomgren reports that Volvo dealerships are also reporting large groups of day laborers.  “I drove by a dealership the other day and it looked like an Abba concert.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment