Tuesday, November 16, 2010

THERAPIST BLASTS FREE RANGE CHICKEN FARMS

"CHICKENS NEED STRUCTURE," SAYS EXPERT

Do free range chickens have more behavioral problems than birds who are subject to strict rules and guidelines?   Yes, says highly respected poultry therapist Topaz Corpel-Klotz.  

"What I'm saying might surprise people, but I see the problems affecting these free range chickens every day in my practice."  And the cause, she says, is a lack of structure.  "Free range chickens have no one telling them, 'No, it's not okay to stay out with the rooster until all hours of the night, " she said.  

A lack of discipline and boundaries, says Corpel-Klotz, who works primarily with White Leghorn and Golden Comet chickens, results in angry, rebellious poultry.  "Last week, I had an agitated Leghorn free-ranger stomp out of my office during a session, light a cigarette and peck a hole in my car tire.  He calmed down after I threatened to 'Foster Farm' his ass."  Corpel-Klotz added that chicken farmers "must be teachers, not their chicken's best friend."  



No comments:

Post a Comment